Tax Refund

How to get an unclaimed tax refund and allowable expenses estimate your UK rebate using a free calculator

Unclaimed Tax Refund Allowable Expenses

The two certainties in life are said to be death and taxes. Sadly the first is unavoidable but some of the second can be returned back to you. This article will explain how to get one and introduces an easy to use free tax refund calculator to estimate what you can claim back.

Salary Checker page - allows you to compare average salaries for any job or industry within any location in the UK:

In the UK it is set at a starting rate of 10%, then rises to a basic rate of 20%. Higher rate payers are at 40%. Thresholds can be found at the HM Revenue and Customs website. Each person has a personnel allowance. For example in the financial year of 2018 to 2019 the personnel allowance is at least £11,500 (more for older people). It is possible to reduce your annual bill even further by getting a rebate for legitimate expenses like professional subscriptions to a trade union, protective clothing and uniforms needed for your job but not provided by an employer or car mileage and other transport or travelling costs.

Tax Refund Calculator

It is possible to work out this yourself using your pay slips, bank statements, P60 forms and a bit of knowledge. But you could miss a refund that you are entitled too.

The survey will only take about 60 seconds to complete and will give you a rough idea of how much you could be entitled to claim back from the Inland Revenue (now HM Revenue and Customs). There is no obligation to continue to use the services of Refunds Direct after you have used their tool but people who go on to use their stress free and easy to use services have claimed on average £650.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Dystopian Zombies Novel Book Fiction

The Grampian skies are under attack from an enemy jet. It is spilling a strange yellow smoke. Minutes later, people start killing each other.
Former Royal Air Force Regiment Gunner Jason Harper witnesses this and then his wife, Pippa, telephones him, shouting that she needs him. They then get cut off. He sets straight out towards Aberdeen city, unprepared for the nightmare that unfolds during his journey. Everyone seems to want to kill him.
Along the way, he pairs up with fellow survivor Imogen. But she enjoys killing the living dead far too much. Will she kill Jason in her blood thirst? Or will she hinder his journey through this zombie filled dystopian landscape to find his pregnant wife?

The Fence is the first in this series of post-apocalyptic military survival thrillers from the torturous mind of horror and science fiction novel writer C.G. Buswell.

Download Now.

Buy the Paperback.

These sums of money have been paid back to employees and those no longer working but have paid in the past six years. HM Revenue and Customs will not always be able to tell you about what you can claim. This is your responsibility but with a little help it can easily be calculated. As part of the tool you will need to answer several questions such as your part time and full time work in the current year, whether you have worked here or abroad or if you use a car for business miles and never been paid for this mileage or only been part reimbursed for your expenses.

Information is kept confidential though you will be asked your date of birth, number of children, job title, employment status, the number of hours you work, an agent code if you have one, your gender and annual income. At this stage there is no need to enter your name, address or telephone number. At a click of a button you will be told if you are due a rebate. It is highly probable that you are due one if you have not worked for all of a full year, if you paid it and your earnings were below your personnel allowances or if the wrong code was used.

They can then take things one step further by sending you a free claim pack which will help you get refunds dating back to six years. This can be a sizeable sum of money due to you and they will help you get as much back as possible on a no win no fee basis. When you get it you simply pay a small percentage to them in return for their expertise help.

Follow us on Twitter:

One last war novel

An army veteran moves his family into a village, but his nightmare neighbour starts a battle of wits with him. Who will win this One Last War?

Buy my latest novel on Kindle or Paperback.

It is estimated the one in three adults are entitled to one but over £4 Billion goes unclaimed each year. This is money that many British workers are honestly entitled too and with a bit of help can easily claim. Using the information below you can estimate it. Though we do recommend seeking expert help such as the company above who are suitable qualified in this field.

There are various ways to gain one. Your first point of contact should be to visit or telephone your local HMCR office and talk about any concerns you have. For example if you have been paying emergency tax for more than a few months on your main job, perhaps because your old employer still has your P45, then they can advise you on getting your code changed to a regular code. This can often be something as simple as them sending a letter to your old workplace to chase up paperwork. This can result being repaid in your next pay packet and details will show up in your pay statement.

In any communication you will need to provide your National Insurance number.

If you find talking to an official daunting - please don't, they are only human! In our experience their employees and advisors are very approachable and helpful and talk in normal language! They avoid using jargon and are there to help you. If you do prefer to write then ask your employer for your local office address or find it on your P60 or any letters you may have had from them. Writing can slightly delay any claims because communication is slowed down by the need to wait for letters to reach their destination, be read and understood and then replied.

If you like this page and would like to easily share it with your friends and family please use the social buttons below:


If this has not answered your questions or you need some more advice then please e-mail me. I would also welcome any advice to increase the information to make it more useful to others. I would also appreciate it if you were to send our link to your friends, forums and social media.

Automatically add us to your favourites folder - Bookmark Us. We update weekly with new earning opportunities.

Allowable Tax Expenses

There are many allowable tax expenses which can be legitimately claimed against. This list is not exhaustive and is here for general guidance. There are also items specific to certain professions and jobs which are further described below:
  • Heating, power, electric and lighting if self employed and working from home

  • Computers, laptops, tablets, printers, discs, pen drives, etc

  • Mileage to meetings, conferences, clients, etc

  • Percentage of the costs of keeping a car such as insurance, servicing etc - an accountant can help with these type of claims

  • Accountancy fees and costs

  • Stationery such as stamps, paper, ink cartridges, envelopes, pens, etc

  • Uniforms and protective clothing charged by or not provided by an employer such as aprons, gloves, steel capped boots or shoes, hard hats, overalls, etc

  • Telephone costs and line rental related to business and work

  • Business rates and rent if self employed

  • Repairs to equipment

  • Replacing equipment through loss by theft, accident, damage, etc

  • Insurance

  • Membership of a trade union organisation

  • Hotel costs related to work

  • Conference or study day fees

Some professions and jobs will be permitted certain ones. For example nurses and care assistants can claim hosiery costs if this forms part of their uniforms. This includes tights and stockings, but not socks which are not so easy to ladder! Nurses and carers can also claim footwear such as shoes. Nurses have to attend a certain amount of study days, courses and conferences each year and can claim these costs and any necessary travel and accommodation expenses.

You will need to justify any expenses you wish to claim on your self assessment return form or in writing to HM Revenue and Customs. Any proof of expenses such as receipts and invoices should also be retained.

Other pages of interest include claiming back bank charges.

© Site contents copyright 2006 - 2024 All rights reserved.